The Philbrick-Eastman House The Parker Companies
Greenline renovated the historic Philbrick-Eastman House, a 12,000 square foot Greek Revival mansion on Savannah's Chippewa Square, to accommodate The Parker Companies corporate offices. The property features extensive use of stately columns, decorative iron fencing with medallions of famous Americans, elaborate crown moldings, 14-foot ceilings, breathtaking woodwork and original oak floors. The building, designed in 1844 by Savannah architect Charles B. Cluskey, was originally built on one of the city's original trust lots at 229-231 Bull Street for Moses Eastman, a local silversmith and jeweler. The home was later occupied that same year by Samuel Philbrick, but construction did not complete until 1848 when local merchant John Stoddard finished the home. In 1890, the property was purchased by Joseph Hull, one of Savannah's most prominent citizens. It underwent an extensive renovation in 1912 and was deemed the “finest home in the city.” In 1918, the home was again remodeled to accommodate a medical office on the ground and parlor levels. In 1953, the property underwent an extensive renovation when it was commercialized and transformed into the headquarters of the Atlantic Mutual Fire Insurance Company, Atlantic Insurance and Investment Company, and the Southern Savings and Loan Company.
Interior work included the reconfiguration of the ground, third and fourth floors to accommodate new office space. Careful attention was paid to reflect the open floor plan created in 1953. Major portions of the ground, second and third floor had been opened up to accommodate a large, steno pool type work place. Exterior work included extensive repair to the building's stucco, which was cracked and sprawling on all facades. The stucco was cleaned, analyzed and repaired or patched with material to match the existing materials in content. The work was done in accordance with the Department of Interior's stucco preservation guidelines.
This renovation project truly captured the spirit of evolution in one of Savannah's Historic District's most prominent buildings. The essence of this renovation was to pay reverence to the second use of office space while preserving the character and features from the 1912 and 1953 renovations. Both the owner and design team felt a deep sense of responsibility to restore this landmark building to its former glory, while paying critical attention to detail to ensure the restoration respected the structure's history while providing for its modern use. This project was recognized by the Historic Savannah Foundation with a 2015 Historic Preservation Award. Daniel Carey, Historic Savannah Foundation President and CEO praised the project by stating that the design team "has done a first-class job restoring the Philbrick-Eastman House" and that the project "represents the spirit of revitalization that has helped make Savannah a national model for responsible historic preservation."
Historic Building Analysis
Historic District Review Board Approval
Permitting & Construction Phase Services
2015 Historic Savannah Foundation Preservation Award
2016 Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Excellence in Rehabilitation